Introducing the Storytime Underground Book Club
I know what you’re thinking: “Another book to read? Harrumph.” So go ahead and let your inner Eeyore be momentarily annoyed at the presumption that you have time to read. Go ahead. I’ll wait.
Now. GET EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK CLUB!
The Storytime Underground Book Club is beginning with the intention to beef up our knowledge of the cognitive science aspects of our jobs. To that end, Cate has put together a great Riffle bookshelf with some tremendous reading options. All of these titles contain information that should significantly inform the work that we do in our youth librarian services, both in storytime and elsewhere.
- Interested participants will read A Child’s Work: The Importance of Fantasy Play by Vivian Gussin Paley.
- A live discussion will take place via Google+ Hangout on Thursday, September 5, 2013, at 9 p.m. EST
- Since Google+ Hangouts are limited to 10 simultaneous participants, there will be a lottery for participation. 9 people will be chosen, with the 10th person being a Storytime Underground administrator/discussion facilitator.
- If you are available during the time of the live discussion, have Google+ Hangout capabilities, and are interested in entering the lottery to participate, enter here.
- Live discussion participants will be announced one week prior to the live discussion.
- The day after the live discussion, the recorded Google+ Hangout will be posted on the blog for enjoyment of everyone who has read the book or is interested in the topic.
- Discussion about the book will continue asynchronously in the comments of the Google+ Hangout post, on Facebook, and on Twitter #sucogsci
Since this is the first Storytime Underground Book Club, we expect there may be some hiccups and kinks. Let us know if we’ve forgotten anything important.
We look forward to delving in the cognitive science aspects of the work we do with children.